Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spice-Crusted Apple Handpies

The process of making these handpies this weekend proved satisfying in a few ways. I was, quite frankly, battling a small bout of end-of-weekend blues before I began baking. I had just bid farewell to some out-of-town friends. I could feel the temperature casually dropping. The mood, to say the least, was downcast. But an hour later, I found myself with a pie in hand, a house smelling of cinnamon, and a considerably more cheerful outlook. There's something about floury hands and freshly-skinned apples that brightens the day. I know I love baking. But it's comforting to know that it not only pleases the palate, but can overturn a gloomy mood as well.
    These pies are particularly delightful because they've got a double dose of spicy sugar. I simmered the apple pieces for about 10 minutes to soften the flesh and make for easier skinning. The fruit then received a quick toss in cinnamon sugar before being wrapped in the simple butter pastry. I pinched the crust edges together into a half-moon shape and dunked the whole pocket in the sandy mixture. The handpies emerged from the oven encrusted in golden sugar-spice. You could conceivably call these turnovers or pockets. But I just adore pies, so I'll attach the name to anything vaguely related to the pie family
Makes 4 mini-pies
Spice-Crusted Apple Handpies
Ingredients for crust:
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBSP butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
6 TBSP cold water.

Ingredients for apple filling:
2 apples, chopped into rough pieces
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Extra granulated sugar and cinnamon for crust (I estimated, but I'd say 2 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon)

Directions:
--Set a medium pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add apple chunks and reduce to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes, or until apples have softened, but aren't mushy. (Water should just cover tops of the apples). Once soft, remove the pan from heat and let apples cool. Use a knife to remove the apple skin. Toss apple chunks with cinnamon and sugar.
--While apples are cooking, make the crust. Whisk together dry ingredients. Add butter and water, and mix together with hands until dough stays together and forms a rough ball. Don't knead too much, or pastry will become tough; dough should just hold together enough to be able to stay in one piece when you stretch it out.
--Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Flour a cutting board or flat work surface. Divide pastry dough into four pieces and, using a rolling pin our floured hands, stretch pieces into rounds, about 6 inches in diameter. Spoon 1/4 of the apple mixture onto one half of each crust. Wet the outer edges of the crust with water and fold other half over the apple filling, pinching ends to seal.
--Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar onto a plate or shallow bowl (no need to mix). Coat all sides of the handpies by placing on the plate and then turning them over. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until crust is golden.



2 comments:

  1. I'm having a bad day. Please make me one? <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making them is an important step in the cheering up process! But I'd love to.

    ReplyDelete