Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dill Pickles

I have an unfortunate ability to eat gobs and gobs of pickles at a time. Along with blueberries and jelly beans, pickles are one of those foodstuffs that I consume in great quantities. Last year I discovered how simple it is to make homemade pickles, and I thought I'd share the recipe here. I quite like homemade pickles; they are considerably more cucumber-y than storebought, I've found, but still retain the salty, sour tang of the classic jar pickle.

Pickles are incredibly easy and rather quick to make. You quite possibly already have all the necessary ingredients; just make sure you've got enough vinegar. This recipe calls for one cup and makes two medium sized jars of pickles. And after just two hours of sitting in the brine, the pickles are ready to be eaten, or stored away for another day (or later that evening). This recipe does make a slightly sweeter pickle than your average dill, so I might suggest skimping on the amount of sugar called for, if you'd like to avoid any hints of sweetness.

Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine's Dill Pickle Spears recipe.
Dill Pickles
Ingredients:
4-6 Kirby Cucumbers (Kirby cukes are smaller than regular cucumbers, about three to six inches. I found some in my regular grocery store)
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP coarse salt
1 tsp dill seed
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

Directions:
--Cut cucumbers into quarters lengthwise. Put in medium bowl.
--In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil vinegar, sugar, salt, dill seed and garlic with two cups water. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour over cucumbers.
--Use a small plate to submerge cucumbers in liquid. Refrigerate in bowl, about two hours. Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment