Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bundt Cake French Toast


This entry is a sort of post script to my last one. I left you all with the tale of the rather significantly-sized peach bundt cake I'd made for my birthday. We downed about half of it right away, leaving the rest to be nibbled upon at the leisure of the household. Unfortunately, time got away from me and got into the cake, and before anyone could finish the leftovers, the cake dried out. What was once a lovely, peachy birthday cake turned into a large mass of dry, peachy bundt. But I really despise throwing food away, so I thought I might mask the cake's shortcomings somehow. And it being a lazy Sunday, brunch food sounded about right. So I made French toast, with the cake.


Initially, I worried that the cake would fall apart in the milk-and-egg batter, the dessert being less gluten-y than the average piece of bread. I cut thick slices of cake, gingerly turning the pieces over in the liquid, but they kept their shape as they soaked up the batter. And I successfully transferred them to, and flipped them in, the pan without losing any important corners. The result was a very, very tender French toast. The time in the pan yielded a soft and rich crumb, surrounded by a buttery glaze. The warm peaches in the cake added a sweet bite. Leftover cake lives to crowd the counter another day.




Bundt Cake French Toast
Ingredients:
1 cup milk (I used soy)
3 eggs
3 TBSP brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
6 slices pound or bundt cake
butter for the pan
berries, maple syrup, whipped cream, etc for topping.

Directions:
--Whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt until combined. Pour batter into a shallow bowl. Dip slices of cake in batter, soaking for one minute on each side.
--Heat 1/2 TBSP butter in a nonstick pan on medium heat. When butter begins to brown, add slices to pan, one or two at a time. Cook until browned, about two minutes on each side, flipping half way through. Repeat with remaining slices, adding more butter as necessary to coat the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment