Monday, October 29, 2012

Maple-sautéed Pears with Pecorino Cheese

The company I work for has a subscription to a Fruit-of-the-Month Club. I've been told that one of our clients signed us up. I've never met this person, and I believe he works only rarely with our staff. But I suppose he's taken a shine to us. Toward the end of each month, our admin assistant strolls around the office with a box of parchment-wrapped fruit. First it was cherries. Then, nectarines. And this month, we each got a ripe green pear.
I'm not actually much of a pear person. It's the slightly grainy texture that I shy from; the taste is fine. But I'd prefer a smooth, sweet apple. I wanted to properly appreciate this pear though, so I decided to spruce it up with a gliding skin of syrup and pair it with sharp, tangy, pecorino cheese. I sautéed the pears in syrup until they were softno grainy texture to be found. They soaked up the syrup and warmed right through. Then I just put them in a bowl and sprinkled on the cheese. Pecorino is a bit like parmesan, offering a salty bite to counter the sweet pears. A dollop of greek yogurt provided a bed of creamy tartness.

Maple-sautéed Pears with Pecorino
Ingredients:
2 pears, sliced thinly
3 TBSP maple syrup
1/4 cup shredded Pecorino or parmesan cheese
1/2 cup greek or plain yogurt (you can also used sweetened, of course, but I like the sourness of the greek or plain yogurt. Ice cream or frozen yogurt would also be awfully good)

Directions:
--Heat a pan on medium. Add pears and syrup and cook on medium until pears are soft, about ten minutes. Syrup should bubble a bit, but not too much, while cooking.
--Remove pan from heat. Divide pears into two bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with 2 TBSP cheese. Add 1/4 cup yogurt to each serving. Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment